'53 Drag Car Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

'53 Drag Car Project

Post by Jeff Rice »

Here is the first of what I hope is a long running thread about putting Stude power back into a Stude drag car.

This is an ALL STEEL '53 Commander hardtop drag car.
The fine points and details are going to come along as things progress.
It was purchased without the engine on purpose.
I do have all the bits and pieces to put a BBC back in.....but.
But I want to run Stude power.

While it will not be a concensus build, input is welcome.
Right now it looks like a good Stude mule engine will get put together to go out and learn the car, while a full blast engine is prepped.
Looking forward to getting started!
Jeff 8)
PS: Apologies for the broken pic links (Thanks for nuthin' Webshots :evil: ... I'm fixing them as I go.... [/i]...

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: '53 Drag Car Project

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Jeff,

Way to go, guy! I'd love to participate in some way and wish you weren't on the wrong coast.

Are you going NA, supercharged, or turbocharged? Twin turbos and EFI on E85 gets my vote!

jack vines
Karl

Post by Karl »

:shock: :D 8) :wink:
[img]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/twnchgr/cartoontwin.jpg[/img]
63larkr1

Post by 63larkr1 »

Jeff,
It’s good to see another Studebaker powered Studebaker destine for the drag strip. Looks wonderful and I love the ghost flames. I think whatever Studebaker motivation you build will be top notch.
I can’t wait to see it on the strip.
Richard
Studebaker Drag Racing You can't beat it.
The 11th annual all Studebaker Nationals Drag Race is Saturday May 25th, 2018 at 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. For more information contact Richard Poe
okc_avanti
0 - 19 Posts

Post by okc_avanti »

Jeff,

Congrats on the car. Not quite sure what you have in mind for a Stude powered engine but you should talk to Michael Myer. He is currently building an engine for a restoration company in Indiana that is building a bullet nosed Stude custom to compete for the Ridler Award at next year's Detroit Autorama show. Mike is building a Stude that will be twin supercharged and fuel injected (a modern R5 maybe?). The engine will be blueprinted and dyno tested so I expect some really large HP #'s out of it. He also has a Stude engine sitting in an old style rail dragster in his shop that has a Wieland blower.
Dave Bloomberg

Post by Dave Bloomberg »

Boy! Jeff I'm glad you got that beautiful race car, can't wait to see it on the 1/4 mile strip!! The public will love it, I know everyone has ideas on your future Studebaker race engine, my vote is for twin turbos, EFI, water to air intercooler, and strong lower end (4 bolt main Evan's kit conversion); roller cam, forged pistons, strong rods, etc :lol: we are looking forward to your tread on developing this race car, thanks and congratulations, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti, race my Avanti at Bonneville, Muroc Dry lake & El Mirage, presently hold world records for D/CPS at Bonneville, Muroc & El Mirage race courses.
In 2006 became member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.
sbca96
Over 400 Posts!

Post by sbca96 »

If not you could aways go Packard, AMC, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac powered .....

Tom
'63 Avanti, 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO TR-3550 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves
PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 »

about putting Stude power back into a Stude drag car.
Where are these suggestions about AMC, Pontiac, Mopar coming from - blegh!!!

What part of Jeff's first sentence didn't I understand?

jack vines
Sonny
Site Admin

Post by Sonny »

Well said, Jack.... :wink: :roll:
Sonny
SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan »

I agree. I think it is outstanding that Jeff wants to return it to Stude power. I turned down two Hemis for the Avanti because anyone can bolt in a crate motor and go fast. Where's the challenge in that? But if you go fast with a Stude engine it is a blast. Just ask Dave B. and Tom C. I had more fun watching peoples look of wonder when they didn't see a bowtie or mopar in the car. And the look on their face when I told them it was Stude powered was priceless.

So Jeff I want to say "Thank You" and have fun with that beautiful race car. When you put the circle and line through the hood emblem be sure to post it. I want to rattle a few of my chebby guys.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.
sbca96
Over 400 Posts!

Post by sbca96 »

I was listing our fallen brethren, our fellow Orphan cars .. Mopar is still made.
It was a joke referring to building other 'rare' engine choices that can make it
more difficult than a simple BBC. :wink:

Tom
'63 Avanti, 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO TR-3550 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

First thing that happened was the spoiler was removed.
It was not mounted securely, and it looked out of place.
It's going in the swap/sell/scrap aluminum box.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Have asked several Stude guys to take pic's of a '53 or '54 grille surround, both right and left.
Trying to get a decent picture so Rick can make me up a nice UV protective vinyl graphic sticker to put on the nose of the car.
The nose is steel, with the grille surround openings just skinned over and welded.
Real grille surrounds are mucho bucks, so some nice looking vinyl graphics would be great.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice »

Did a little 'investigating' earlier this week.
Had to go to Atlanta on a biz trip (drove), and stopped at McDonough to go to the Summit Racing store there.
Took my dual inlet R3 air box along just to see if the FAST fuel injection throttle body would fit inside the R3 air box.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/ezefi/default.asp
More a point of curiosity than anything.
Tom C is steering me toward E-85, and this won't handle it.
But I had to know if it would fit......and it does....very nicely...
R5 Lark

Post by R5 Lark »

Jeff, did you ever find out if that Fast system is engineered to respond to boost?