Potvin Supercharger Build PROJECT

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Potvin Supercharger Build PROJECT

Post by 3x2stude » 11 Feb 2020, 00:15

More progress on several fronts. I got the biscuit in the middle whittled out over the weekend. The OD is finished up to the "line" for final sanding after everything is screwed together. The interior needs a little luvin' yet. Once it is all screwed together I'll start the chain access hatch layout.

I also did some research on short run and prototype investment castings. There are quite a few out there and some are pretty high tech so a casting / machined part may be more affordable than machined billet, we'll see.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 13 Feb 2020, 23:00

I got the REV1 adapter all together in wood. Some of the bolting is tight but it works. This wood "buck" will give me and my 3D modeler a better understanding on where to move things around to better access bolting, etc. I am pleased with the accuracy of the wood so far. I dropped a digital level on the block and the blower while on the stand and everything is within 0.2 degrees for alignment, (better lucky than good I think). The 3D drawings are done for the intake side so focus will shift to that with fabrication of that while the adapter gets modeled. I am really having fun with this.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 14 Feb 2020, 10:39

Impressive beginning and excellent pattern-making skills.

jack vines

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 14 Feb 2020, 19:31

Jack,

Having fun making it, wood's cheap so the "oops" pile doesn't break the bank. I will do some fine tuning on the interior and exterior this weekend and then give to my CAD guy so the drawings I give him make sense. The wood model also helps me understand what I can tweak to make it better as he draws it. Thanks for the compliment.

JK

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 15 Feb 2020, 06:57

Beautiful work.
Are you writing about each step, each project, and each learning opportunity.
I see a memoir book coming that would be read by a lot of strange people <lol>.
Jeff

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 24 Feb 2020, 22:26

For those that have never seen a Detroit blower right off the diesel here is what they look like. The clunky thing on the intake side with the round disc is pointed up as the original unit mounts on the side of the motor. I got all the un-needed parts stripped off and soaked the whole thing in orange based cleaner. After soaking and brushing I took it to the car wash and blasted it clean. Once home I blew it dry and oiled the bearings and such. I spins free and easy so its a good core.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 24 Feb 2020, 22:51

I had a flange cut to allow me to bolt a new outlet to the blower. I had it cut by an "on-line" vendor called "send cut send". You send them a DXF file of what you want cut in 1:1 scale, pick a material, pick a thickness and in seconds you have a price. The part shown that I had cut is 1/4" 304SS, approx. 5.25" x 9.0". It has pretty clean edges. I figured to cut it myself would have taken 3 hours with a cleanup time of an hour, used ten bucks worth of consumables and would only be as accurate as I could thin wheel, drill and grind. I ordered it at 10:04 P.M. Sunday the 16th and received it today at 2:30, six business days. It came from Reno Nevada, I live in Wisconsin. Cost was $43.00, shipping included. I know not everyone has the access to creating the file required but for me, for now, it is a pretty economical parts source. I will look into a venue for others to get a file created from a decent sketch. The part came vacuum packed, perfectly clean. I was highly impressed.

JK

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 25 Feb 2020, 12:07

It's been a while, but I've used a shop like that in the past.
Overall, pretty economical. And you don't have to do any shop cleanup afterward.

Mike

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Feb 2020, 22:31

I got a little bit done this week. The blower case shown is my "mule". It has seen some time in use, not by me though, I wish it could talk. But anyways I had the bottom of the case, (outlet side), drilled and tapped for stainless thread inserts. This is done to bolt on the outlet box. The originals were done in cast aluminum, mine will be, you guessed it, stainless steel. It's going to be a challenge to weld and keep it straight and pretty. I may hand it off to someone at work with 40 year younger eyes but we'll see:) More to follow.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Feb 2020, 22:34

Here are some shots of the box fabrication.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Feb 2020, 22:37

Fittings into the box.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Feb 2020, 22:54

Here it is on the motor.

It will stop here until I get the intake flanges machined. I had one 3D printed in plastic to test the fit before cutting and machining the stainless. It should be here any day now. Once it arrives I'll test fit and go from there.

I'll shift back to the adapter casting while I wait.

JK

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 01 Mar 2020, 07:07

In stainless it looks like a giant meat grinder... :P

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 01 Mar 2020, 11:50

Jon -

I know this is just your mock-up parts, but a question -
Are you going to put a full radius on the outside, lower of the intake box to help smooth the air-fuel flow up into the tubes ?

Mike

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 01 Mar 2020, 12:42

Being there in the day, I recall seeing Potvin setups seemingly without the wide base mounting flange on the blower case. Anyone recall how this was accomplished?

jack vines