Another step forward for printed parts

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Ken_Buchanan
0 - 19 Posts

Another step forward for printed parts

Post by Ken_Buchanan » 16 Apr 2019, 20:29

As I posted on the SDC forum;

Here's another step forward in printing custom parts. The day of printed cylinder heads and manifolds is coming but at what price when they do become available?

https://www.ien.com/product-development ... sr=2409569

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Another step forward for printed parts

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 17 Apr 2019, 13:42

So far, printed parts aren't too bad. Not like the change from time consuming, manual machining...to time "saving" CNC machining...and the cost went up..! A one time design fee, and the overall cost went up 50%..! One guy can run 5+ machines at a time...WHY did the cost go up ? The tooling is only slightly different...
There's a few companies on the net that will build you plastic parts for a fair cost.
Been thinking about buying a smallish printer just to learn the technology myself.

At Northrup Grumman (were I retired from), they have five, 3D printers. All used for prototype work. The good thing, is that ANYONE can use them as long as you know how to use the design program. Home stuff, junk just to learn how to use them, or work related parts, the company didn't care.

Mike

55commander
100 - 199 Posts

Post by 55commander » 18 Apr 2019, 12:56

Part of the cost equation is the cost of the CNC machines. Someone has to pay for that fancy HAAS machine.

Mike Van Veghten
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 19 Apr 2019, 02:01

Yea, that is correct to some extent.
Even though the debt payoff is "just" a few years, the "company" amortizes the costs (for tax purposes) over many years so it doesn't kill them in the leaner times, which ALL machine shops go thru. IF, they were lucky...if they bought machines in the late 80's, early 90's, (when all this CNC really got going) they were lucky just to keep the doors open here on the west coast.
Now days I'm not so much part of machine shop practices any longer. I'd guess the money stuff has changed to some extent.

Mike

shifter44
Over 400 Posts!

Post by shifter44 » 19 Apr 2019, 07:18

The May 2019 issue of Car and Driver magazine has a one page article regarding the use of 3D printing
to make parts for Mercedes and Porsche, older low volume applications , by the companies themselves .

It's an interesting read . page 022
If you can't get there in a STUDEBAKER,
it ain't worth goin' .

Bill H .