SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
SilverHawkDan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

Post by SilverHawkDan » 24 Jan 2018, 23:00

OK the first numbers are in. So just how much difference would a set of these adapter plates make on a stock 259 Stude? Well I was able to complete the first test today and while there is a carb issue that needs to be dealt with it was none the less interesting. For some reason now that the WCFB is on the SBC manifold the air flapper does not open until about 3700 rpm. So no secondaries until then. SO that might be a good thing or a bad thing. More research needed but here are the numbers: I HAVE EDITED THE NUMBERS TO BETTER REFLECT WHAT THEY MEAN. Thank you Jeff for pointing out my ability to create confusion. Sometimes I post without going back and reading my post first.

0 to 30 mph Best recorded time in the previous three runs 3.98 sec. After manifold change 3.81 sec. or -.18 seconds quicker
0 to 60 mph Best of previous runs 10.40 sec. After 9.66 or -.74 seconds quicker
0 to 90 mph Best of previous runs 22.04 sec. After 18.74 or -3.3 seconds quicker
0 to 100 mph Best of previous runs 29.55 sec. After 26.46 or -2.9 seconds quicker
0 to 110 mph Best of previous runs 41.42 sec. After 39.55 or -1.87 seconds quicker

So the car accelerated faster from stop to 100 mph. Actual speed is 105 to 106 mph with speedometer correction. As you can see the set up seemed to offer the most improvement after 60 mph. the 0 to 90 improvement of a little over 3 seconds is quite a lot for no other changes. Other things I noticed were the car was still pulling strong up to 4800 rpm and I am certain it will still be pulling at 5000. Before I shifted at 4300 at it felt like it was leveling off. I was not surprised to see after the run that the 0 to 110 was faster as I let off the gas as the speedometer reached that speed and I was quite a bit short of where I let off in the previous three runs. So although there is work to be done this first test shows that there is improvement to be found in using the adapter plates. Stock 259 Studebaker 1956 engine, SBC Edelbrock S.P.2.P manifold set up for Quadrajet with 1" spacer and stock Chevy WCFB carb with stock jetting. Personally I think that when I switched to a modern carb things will only get better. There you have it the first performance test.
Dan
So Jeff I would be interested in seeing how this compares to one of the custom welded manifolds which I am sure would be even better. As you can tell I love doing this kind research.
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 28 Jan 2018, 07:23

Most of my intakes (and stock intakes) have already been flowed on a flow bench. With and without a carb.
Many customers have supplied their feedback on performance gains.
If you want to test one for yourself, intakes are available for purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
Jeff 8)

SilverHawkDan wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 23:00
<snip>
So Jeff I would be interested in seeing how this compares to one of the custom welded manifolds which I am sure would be even better. As you can tell I love doing this kind research.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 12 Feb 2018, 22:05

I am still planning on another run of adapters in mid April. Anyone still interested can PM me. Last count I had five willing to commit and that is all I need to do a run of ten sets. If you contacted me with interest since the first run PM or email me again and we can get this going.

JK

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 22 Feb 2018, 23:49

Jon,

After a successful weekend trip I installed the Holley carb today. What a difference. Cold start up was a lot better. Idle quality is much better and by that I mean much smoother. Idle speed is 650 and in gear 550. Throttle response is quicker out of gear but it will have to wait until tomorrow for a road test. Was way to cold in the shop and with no heater in the car, not for me. Hope to take it out and dial it in tomorrow and performance tests on Tuesday. Best part is the carb is only 3 7/8" from bottom of base plate to air horn where as the WCFB is 4 15/16", so the air cleaner in barely sticking out of the hood. If a square bore manifold was used and the 1" adapter plate removed a regular air filter could be used. Pictures tomorrow.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 21 Feb 2019, 20:35

I am going to do another run on SBC intake manifold to Studebaker V8 engine. Let me know who is still interested. They will need to sell for $425.00 a set, this includes shipping in the lower 48. I will ship anywhere and at cost. The last ones were slightly less but the price 13 months ago was based on an 18 month old quote then. The $425.00 is based on a current quote received today. Prepayment is not needed for me to order the run but would be appreciated. Reply here if interested, PM me if you want to order.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 07 Mar 2019, 21:59

FYI,

A purchase order was placed last Friday, 6 -8 week lead time. Send a PM to order. Include your contact information.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 15 May 2019, 21:37

I picked up another batch of intake manifold adapters from W/S Machine today. The adapters allow you to install a small block Chevrolet manifold on a Studebaker V8. They are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum. The Studebaker bolt pattern is counter bored so they are attached to the block using socket head cap screws. The Chevy pattern has stainless steel thread inserts, (not “heli-coils”, inserts), for long thread life. They come with complete instructions. Gaskets and fasteners to use are listed in the instructions but not provided. Ten sets were made and two are sold. $425.00 includes USPS priority mail. PM me if you are interested in a set.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 17 May 2019, 17:05

They look great,Jon!

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 30 Jun 2019, 13:34

Six sets left.