Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 » 26 Jan 2020, 15:54

Some trouble just love to stay around for a while; the way the ignition behaved I thought it was the coil...

I hadn't had Josephine out until yesterday when I thought I would turn her to have axess to the rear for the shims & just when we were almost out of the barn she hasitated & died! Started right up & I thought it's just because she's cold but no way Jose'... The longer she runs - the shorter time she also runs! As if something is getting hot & so on. I turned from LPG to gasoline & she did the same.
So now I've been on MoPar forums several times a day, it could be my chinese made ignition module or the pick up in the distributer the MoPar folx say. I just unscrewed the module from the bulkhead & it looks like new on the backside; no bubbles & it's not miss-colored. I've forgot to feel if it gets hot thou & now it's to late at night to just check that.

This is the way a module looks:
(& if anyone is familiar with MoPar electronic ignition then please comment!)
mopar_orange_ignition_box.jpg
& here is Josephine's module just by the coil:
949.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 26 Jan 2020, 20:28

nox, the electronic ignition module must have a really good ground. Are you sure that that nicely painted firewall isn't causing a ground issue? Here is one thread on this issue: https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/th ... es.204335/

I also remember reading about issues with the pin connector plug that attaches the harness to the module, but couldn't seem to find a thread on that.
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 28 Jan 2020, 04:52

yes I know about the grounding & I've even redone it just now... & I also think, I might ofcourse be wrong, that it wouldn't get worse the longer it runs..? & there's a also fat black ground wire going from the module to the engine.
Now it seems it even runs shorter & shorter periods even when cold, as when starting next day it runs shorter time than the day before!
The MoPar forum guys explaing everything so well but to me that electric talk is like learing Greek language or Swahili.

What I really wonder is how I can test to see if it is the module that has failed..?

Including a diagram too:
MoPar Ignition Diagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 04 Feb 2020, 14:06

This evening something silly happend; I took Nils's rusty extra hood & lay it on Josephine to see how much wider & longer it is:
005.JPG
The strange thing is that this hood had a bar across fastend in the hinges that I removed:
(might be hard to see how it was fastend)
002.JPG
003.JPG
But on Nils's -54 there's no such bar:
(the hinges are laying down lose here)
001.JPG
Could the bar be a special thing or what do you guys think?

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 10 Feb 2020, 13:44

Funny this these days; I switch the computer off 2 days ago & then I couldn't get in & now I can! Something has happend to the safety/protection cuz before it was impossible for weeks or even months but now it's the opposite! :)
Anyway, Nils came with the answer to my (stupid?) question: the bar is for keeping the hood wideness in proper shape to the cowl.
I've been thinking quite some time about posting a short movie but everytime I'm in here I forget it, let's see...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 10 Feb 2020, 13:51

Ah, one more thing that I can skip, no films either...
:(

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 11 Feb 2020, 10:37

nox, did you get your ignition straightened out? If so, what did you figure out was the culprit?
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 11 Feb 2020, 16:45

No, so far I've just left the ignition troll for now. Everyone has a different solution so I'll go for a new module, but it's all pretty expensive here due to import reasons & ofcourse the speedshops wanna make profit & me being without income & so on...
& my pal Bart in Minneapolis seems to be falling asleep all the time so I still haven't got the shims.
I'm rebuilding some stuff on the house & outbuildings these days, it's been a mild winter so some days I can do concrete & other days there's inside job too. & Nils is still seiously sick & can't even deliver the stuff to his -54 coupe so it's not much car work at the moment & Gaston-the-Citroen AMI6 & Sonja's subaru just keeps on working fine.
003.JPG
Carmenzita just wanna play & tug the stick with Lizzie but Lizzie is a grumpy ol' fart who only wanna give the stick to me so she can run! after it.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 12 Feb 2020, 16:01

Well well... This evening I had some time left over so I went out & re-did the module's earth connections & some small stuff again, started it up & then it died... It's not running long & the second time I start it dies even quicker. So now it's time for a new module.
:(

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 23 Feb 2020, 15:39

I've been up to just about everything else than working on Josephine, but today I got mail from my pal Bart, or "Canadian Bart" as he was called in Holland when he was there & I got to know him about 15 years ago, & he wrote that he would post the shims today! So he actually did(!) order & got them, & now I have a car to put them on that doesn't even drive... Well, it'll be spring any day soon!
(& gee how I hope some non-idiotic experianced sailor will buy our tug.)

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 27 Feb 2020, 16:04

For 3 days I was cut out again & was real nervous, getting used to be able to get in every day now...
Anyway, I forgot to tell that the module does get warm, but the engine don't run long enough for it to get hot. So now I've been on search to get a original MoPar module & that aint easy here, most speedshops only sell the chinese crap that I already have that's quitting now.
It's finally getting cold here, so when the Atlantic freez I'll be driving over to buy some stuff! Only problem & the biggest then is that I might not wanna go back... ;)

(I'm getting weak too, I eat good & not much meat but I'm getting really weak anyway; Lizzie our "older" dog had digged on the side of a ditch we're about to put electric cable & water pipe in to, so suddenly my old deep ditch aint deep at all... So I grab a shovel & after 3 lifts I had to rest! & it's a narrow shovel too, only about 8 inches wide! Probably gluten as I've been reading up on the subject. I'm still strong enough but I can't do much for long time at all. & a week ago our puppy that now is way bigger than her mother ran up to our neighbours dog & barked her head off & I had to run there, grab her & pull her away by the collar cuz I didn't have any rope near & it was HURRY UP -time, & then I had to lay down! I felt sick to my stomach.
(Gee, I aint even 60 yet, at least not untill june...)

I just found some old pictures from when Ozzian was newborn, can you spot what cars we were driving?
The first one is the one he came home & aboard from the hospital in!
DSCN0816.JPG
DSCN0818.JPG
DSCN1150.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 27 Feb 2020, 16:43

I reckon the last one wasn't to hard, right?
Here's 2 more of that one:
(It was a real mile-eater & low on gas too above 140km/h!)
DSCN1172.JPG
DSCN3245.JPG
With 2 dogs, a kid with all that stuff & so on we looked for a wagon & the best for a low price was a -81 Cadillac hearse that the family before already had put a backseat in! & we became friends with them & visited them later also, the guy is the founder of the dutch Cadillac club. But he's out of it since some years due to the newer cars in the club. He owns a few good ones, one used to be owned by the Belgian king & the roof is plexiglass, I thing it's a -63 or -64. So much about this, we're no Cadillac fans but they're good cars & because of that I think we've owned 5 or maby 6. (But "good"... They are not as good as Chrysler products.)

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 27 Feb 2020, 18:00

Oh, at last I found this one... A piece of rubber was missing:
(he's a wee bit older here too)
DSCN3861.JPG

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 28 Feb 2020, 06:19

Nox, how old is Ozzian now?
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 28 Feb 2020, 15:41

He's "way to old for his age" in my opinion, he'll be 10 years-way-to-old the 27:th next month... & he's only interested in computergames, anything real is boooring to him now. :cry:
007.JPG