Potvin Supercharger Build PROJECT

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Potvin Supercharger Build PROJECT

Post by 3x2stude » 01 Mar 2020, 21:31

The polished case is my "mule". It is well used inside so it's just for fit up. I will not pare down this case just for a photo. I will trim down the case of the blower that I do use. I thought it prudent to wait until I get the adapter casting done before I start carving up cases. This whole build will look little different from the originals when done and that is the theme. I spent the day designing the "pop-off" valve. With nothing to use to reverse engineer I will just do what I know works for in industry for gases and liquids. I have asked "Moon Equipment" several times for pricing on the springs or information on what they are and have gotten nothing. It's not rocket science so I don't understand their reluctance to give me information. Some springs from McMaster Carr should be a good starting point. The hole in the side of the box is for the pop off, it's 3" OD which should be sufficient for a 300 cu. in. motor. I will order some laser cut aluminum and stainless discs this week, stainless for the fixed part and aluminum for moving part. I'll post a drawing later this week once it's done.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 01 Mar 2020, 21:44

Mike,

The blower outlet is a fixed box. Not much you can do to improve air flow and keep it simple. It is under boost so there should be no issue.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 02 Mar 2020, 22:39

I got the 3D printed intake flange today. It fit just fine I'll go to metal with the "Send-Cut-Send" folks in a day or two. Now that I have the plastic I can get the runners into fabrication. I am wanting the pieces for those very precise so I will farm out their cutting and forming to a nearby shop that has state of the art numerically controlled forming equipment. I have access to a shear and brake at work but accuracy of the equipment is based on the ability of the operator to hit the mark. The flanges have to openings at a 32 degree angle as they pass through, that will keep the runner of the manifold inline with the port.

Moon says they will be able to ship the crank chain coupler next week and they can supply the springs for the pop-off valve. Things are moving forward.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 03 Mar 2020, 07:41

Looking at The Mooneyes setup....
I see a set of injectors on one pic making this a 'wet' system, and in another pic I see injectors at the manifold making this a 'dry' system. (Unless the combined pic's make this a dual injection system).
Which is your design going to be? Getting a wet system with uphill runners is going to be a challenge.

Why not use their manifold with your adapters? Just curious.

Would Mooneyes sell you an undrilled blower housing to block adapter?

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 04 Mar 2020, 23:21

Jeff,

My system will be “dry” with rails and port injection. This will greatly reduce the possibility of destruction of the blower in a backfire. The dry system will also allow me to use a wastegate if I get too much boost at the top for engine protection and tweak the low end to make it streetable. (Thanks for the info on the TurboSmart folks Jeff). The Moon adapter for the SBC would most likely not work for two reasons. It has nowhere to land the four bolts around the crank on the Stude and the overall length is unknown and Moon won’t tell. So, I do not want to buy one to use as a door stop. It took months for them to agree to sell me the crank coupler with the engine side unmachined for the crank hole and it was a “don’t tell my wife price”. I never even asked for a price on their castings for the intake as they sell used for a tall price plus the cost of my adapters. I have never even seen the engine / blower adapter for sale used. My intake runners will be cooler, lighter, easier to modify and probably 50 – 30 % cheaper including my labor. The biggest reason I am doing my own is that it’s not been done, I want one, and Its fun. :)

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 10 Mar 2020, 22:09

I got the stainless flanges for the heads today from Send-Cut-Send today and they fit well. They are good quality like the last order. Being laser cut the ports are cut undersize on the height and will need the bevel either machined or ground by hand. I will get a quote on the machining tomorrow and decide which way to go. I ordered the flanges for the pop-off valve today from the laser vendor tonight so I should have them next week.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 26 Mar 2020, 14:17

I have made some progress on the pop-off box. I got the stainless flange and the pop-off plate from the laser cutter. The drive coupler and pop-off springs arrive from Mooneyes on Tuesday. The 3" tube will be cut to length after it is welded to the flange. The aluminum pop-off plate needs to have an o-ring groove machined into it. I'll get it welded tonight.

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 26 Mar 2020, 18:02

With a 4-71 and a 1 to 1 drive, overboost shouldn't be a problem.
The "pop-off" would normally be protection for all parts within the pressure system (induction hardware, blower, blower mounting, etc.) more than the engine. A knock sensor to lower the ignition timing if detonation is noticed would protect the engine.

That would also depend on the setup of the blower (rotor to case / endplate clearances). Not sure of boost pressure from a 1 to 1 drive, 4-71 blower, but I doubt it would go much over 8 or 10 PSI, even with a race setup blower.

This is all fun to watch happen..!

Mike

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 27 Mar 2020, 13:20

Boost is not the issue, it is for "backfire". This way I am protected and it looks nostalgic. I would hope my planned induction system with port fuel injection should have limited issues with backfire but a wanted to plan for it. You are right the best boots I'll see is 7 - 10.

JK

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 28 Mar 2020, 01:09

Correct.
I was just going off of your previous comment (the way I read it anyway).

Mike

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 28 Mar 2020, 22:10

Here is the pop-off clamped in place and ready to tack in place and the assembled deal. The threaded studs and the rest of the fasteners will be replaced with stainless of course. If I can reverse engineer the spring rate I will go stainless there too. More to follow in a minute.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 28 Mar 2020, 22:13

Back on the motor. Going to move on to the intake plumbing. All the parts are here.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 31 Mar 2020, 11:09

The intake plates needed some lovin' to get them flat. It is fairly common for 1/4" plate to move a little when cut and "bow" a little, its called coil memory. I got them flat with some blocks and a Besey clamp. I also needed to add on to one edge. I was concerned about the edge being too narrow.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 31 Mar 2020, 11:23

Next I assembled the material for the runners. I had a vendor from work laser cut and form them. They are perfect, spot on 90 and dimension. I could have made these at work but never so precise. Welded and ground smooth.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 31 Mar 2020, 11:37

Next I had to angle the port openings in the plates. The 3D plastic ones fit the runners well. I set a vice at 30 degrees on the bench and got after it with a belt sander and cartridge rolls. Tedious but not hard to do.