SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member

SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

Post by 3x2stude » 23 Mar 2017, 21:21

I am trying to make adapter plates to allow bolting a SBC intake manifold the Studebaker V8. I know I am off the deep end for starting another project but it is just a continuation and refinement of Jeff Rice's adapters on the Weber motor. Those adapters and the manifold are unique to each other and can only be used together. These new ones will allow most any Chevy I intake to be trimmed down and bolted on. Jeff's parts are accurate and both the same but no drawings were made. I took careful measurements of them and had a friend at work create a 3D model. I had the 3D model printed in plastic and poof, instant adapter including threads. Here are some photos of the plates with and without gaskets. The port / bolt alignment seems spot on for the individual faces. More to follow in the next post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3x2stude

Re: V8 Intake Adapter Plates For SBC To Stude

Post by 3x2stude » 23 Mar 2017, 21:51

I used a tap jig to guide me in the plastic so I would not screw it up. I am only chasing the "printed" threads. As you can see the Stude side lines up nicely. From the rear you can see the angle gaps seem spot on. What you don't see is that the GM pattern need dropped a little on the angled face, it fits but it needs tweaked and reprinted. It probably needs to go a 32nd. I'll measure it this weekend. More to follow in the next post.

JK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 23 Mar 2017, 22:02

I have someone quoting doing them out of 6061 aluminum in a 5-axis CNC. I plan to do a short run if they're reasonable. We'll see. Here are some assembled shots.

JK

55commander
100 - 199 Posts

Post by 55commander » 24 Mar 2017, 08:44

Interesting

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 24 Mar 2017, 18:20

Awesome!
I saw someone selling adapter plates like that way back in the 70's.
Yours look perfect.
If you use an 'air gap' intake, it makes it easier to cut off all the Chevy stuff.
Like them!

Jeff 8)

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 24 Apr 2017, 23:27

I am going to make the adapter plates to allow bolting a SBC intake manifold the Studebaker V8. If I can sell 10 sets I can sell them for $330.00 a set. I plan to buy two sets myself and I can stand to sit on a couple of sets for a while so I need to see what the real interest would be in them. I can drop the price to $300.00 if I can sell twenty sets. The plates will be 5-axis CNC machined and have stainless steel thread inserts for the GM side. The port / bolt alignment needs tweaked a few thousandths. I will do another 3D prototype with the tweaks before going to metal. Lead time would be about 8 weeks after I pace an order. Let me know your opinions, either way.

JK

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 25 Apr 2017, 07:29

Do you have a cut down SBC intake yet?
Bring it all down to South Bend and we'll toss it on the dummy engine and let people look at it.
Drum up some interest for your project....
Bring your other stuff down and we'll showcase your work!
(I told the pres of the SDC that my showroom/trailer would be the best freak show off the midway at the circus :twisted: )

3x2stude wrote:I am going to make the adapter plates to allow bolting a SBC intake manifold the Studebaker V8. If I can sell 10 sets I can sell them for $330.00 a set. I plan to buy two sets myself and I can stand to sit on a couple of sets for a while so I need to see what the real interest would be in them. I can drop the price to $300.00 if I can sell twenty sets. The plates will be 5-axis CNC machined and have stainless steel thread inserts for the GM side. The port / bolt alignment needs tweaked a few thousandths. I will do another 3D prototype with the tweaks before going to metal. Lead time would be about 8 weeks after I pace an order. Let me know your opinions, either way.

JK

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 26 Apr 2017, 17:14

Jon -

As noted, a friend wants one set, and I'm still on the proverbial fence.

Those who buy, remember...you want to, at least "sorta match" the manifold CFM to the head CFM you have.
If you put a monster manifold on a ok flowing head, it'll run terrible.
The air fuel mixture needs to keep up a reasonable flow speed, or all you'll end up with is a pretty engine with unusual parts that would run better and get better gas mileage with a stock manifold and 4 barrel carburetor.

If you have a cylinder head / cam combination that flows 200cfm (max.), do not buy an intake manifold that flows 250 (or more) CFM.
With a 200cfm head/cam combination, I wouldn't go over about 210cfm on a manifold.
That's one thing that the Stude engine designers did well...the cams, heads and intake manifolds are pretty closely matched for flow capability's.

Air-fuel velocity is everything.

Mike

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Apr 2017, 01:02

I have a manifold trimmed to remove the unneeded GM accessories. I started with a Weiand "Street Warrior" dual plane. It needs some TLC but I think it looks good for the rough cut. This is an example of one of the many opportunities there is to put a GM SBC on the Stude. I will be at the South Bend meet on Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday, maybe Friday? Jeff Rice has been gracious enough to let me display the adapters and some other "unique" past projects of mine in his trailer. Hope to see you there.

JK

Mike Van Veghten

Post by Mike Van Veghten » 29 Apr 2017, 16:04

Looks good Jon.

Mike

3x2stude

Re: SBC To Stude - V8 Intake Adapter Plates Project

Post by 3x2stude » 10 May 2017, 21:41

I took the adapter plates to South Bend for the international meet. There was some additional interest in them. I have decided to lower the price on them to $300.00 plus shipping for a set. This is based on paying myself minimum wage to install the inserts, clean them and package with only adding a 3% mark-up. If I gave you my email address at the meet and it is not working it may be that I gave you an incorrect address. PM me for the correct one. Let me know if this price reduction adds any interest. I would really like to have all ten sets spoken for before I go to metal. So far, I have commitment for 4 sets.
I took measurements when I got home to compare the height of the adapted manifold to the stocker I came up with a difference of 2.375” higher elevation. This is based on a 4.50” tall SBC intake. 4.00”ers are out there. I found a SBC tri-power from the 60s on EBay and it is only 2.50” tall, equating to only a 0.375” gain in elevation. There are some older manifolds out there that are lower but not “as low” as stock.
If you are looking for a straight bolt-on for a 53 - 55 C/K that will fit under the stock hood, be cheap and require no alterations…… this is probably not for you.
If you are willing to experiment with some different combinations it is possible to get it under a Hawk hood.
If you are a serious racer or building a Stude powered non-Stude hotrod and are not too concerned on hood modifications then these are for you.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 15 May 2017, 19:58

I have 6 commitments for the adapters which includes 1 set for me. I also have 2 tentative as well. I am going to make one more sales pitch with the photo from the international meet doing my best Vanna White demo. I would like to have at least 8 of 10 spoken for. I'll go with only 6 sold if need be but it will cramp my hotrod budget. :).

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 09 Jun 2017, 18:55

I did a second 3D print and it was better but not perfect. The Stude side has always been good but the GM side needed a few tweaks. This is the third printing shown in the photos. I plan to order a machined set in aluminum on Monday. Once they are test fit and are still good I'll pull the trigger on the big order. Photos attached. More photos to follow in another post.

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 09 Jun 2017, 19:09

I notched the intake front and rear just a smidgeon, (technical term), so I could get the adapters off the heads with the intake still attached to them. I bolted the adapters to the heads with all the bolts to make sure the alignment was correct and then removed to center two. I then removed the assembly to check the alignment. You do not need to do this if you are not port matching but it is a nice double check for me. Photos of the port interior to follow.

JKK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 09 Jun 2017, 19:21

Here are shots of the GM interior. All is within the gasket and I am happy. Ordering metal on Monday.

JK