The First Love Project

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
Sonny
Site Admin

Re: The First Love Project

Post by Sonny » 16 Dec 2014, 02:48

dsaun wrote:That is great news Dan. I am glad for you.
Ditto for me, Dan! Hang in there brother-man! 8) 8) 8)
Sonny

SilverHawkDan
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by SilverHawkDan » 20 Dec 2014, 20:57

Worked on the frame a little. Started to sand the frame and found it had a coating on it. Didn't know the factory coated frames in 1958. Not sure of this frames history but it might have had a frame off resto done some time ago.
I don't think it is Por-15 as there is rust under the coating. The coating balls up a little when you sand it. So I am going to try a little citrus paint stripper and see if that removes it. If not I will call my media blaster guy to get and estimate. Always something when you play with old stuff. Loving being able to work on it again. Will pull the rear end out next week so I can start shortening it.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 03 Feb 2015, 00:17

OK the break is over. Yesterday I was busy finding parts I need to move ahead with my two projects. I secured an engine to replace the engine in the 1947 M16 truck. Cool. So now it's time to bring it home and get to work. I also scored windows and regulators, back side windows, a windshield and back window and a dash from a Hawk. It seems the owner is going to turn it into a nostalgia dirt car. Perfect donor as it is more rust than car. So everything that you would remove for a race car is mine. It was a good day.

Today my dad and I got the frame and suspension squared up in the Hawk. I will finish the welding this week and then pull the rear to narrow it. While the rear is out plan to clean and paint the frame up the the bat wing. Then it's on the the other projects. I am meeting with Transdapt to see about them making the Stude to Torqueflight adapters. I will order the new wheels next week and the parts to assemble the Jag rear differential and brakes. Full speed ahead.
Dan
Grew up Studebaker. Drag raced successfully in Southern California. Flew down the salt in the Burke Avanti in 2010 at 159 mph as the Bucket List Dream Avanti. Now part of the Dutch Treat Racing Team, Super Lark driver/team member.

Sonny
Site Admin

Post by Sonny » 03 Feb 2015, 19:05

Keep on truckin', Dan. Looking forward to our next installment!!! 8)
Sonny

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 04 Feb 2015, 00:16

OK got a call today and the family who is allowing me to use their barn to build my car sold the baja bug that my body parts for the Hawk so they needed me to move the parts. So the wife and I went over and moved the parts to where the body has been sitting. We were already scheduled to be there because we were emptying out the POD and taking what we plan to keep to storage. Will save $100 a month by switching our storage location. Last Saturday we moved all of the Studebaker parts and other car parts to the barn. So now I don't have to walk back and forth so much. Maybe I can get more work done. Here is a pic of the new parts storage set up. Won't last long as the body is going up North to be media blasted in the next two or three weeks.
Here is one that shows the new pit car that I plan on installing a supercharged Stude 4 in.
1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk with some assembly required.
During the move I decided to have some fun. Told the wife I added a hood ornament to the chassis. I asked her to go take a picture of it. She was amused but she has seen the mask before so she wasn't shocked or freaked out. I also found my box of parts that will be made into my display of "Sacrifices to the god of speed". Some seriously messed up parts.
I still have to get all of the stuff ready for this weekends swap meet so I don't know if I will get time to work on welding the frame but I hope so. If I do I will take pics and post them.
Dan

I am going to make a list of the extra parts that I will be selling to finance the build. I will post pics and description so that you guys have first shot at them.

Sonny
Site Admin

Post by Sonny » 05 Feb 2015, 18:28

SilverHawkDan wrote:............. if I will get time to work on welding the frame but I hope so. If I do I will take pics and post them.
Dan

I am going to make a list of the extra parts that I will be selling to finance the build. I will post pics and description so that you guys have first shot at them.
THANKS, Dan!
Sonny

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 25 Feb 2015, 00:49

Good day. Softball in the morning. Got to work on the Hawk tonight. Pulled the Jag suspension and took it apart so I can shorten it. Used my birthday gift, a Harbor Freight gift card, and bought a couple of casters. Made two plates and bought some bolts and instant roll around frame. The plate on the passenger side is the old Burke Bros Avanti transmission mount for the Chrysler trans. Is that called recycling? Here are the pics:
Good day indeed. More as it happens.
Dan

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 18 Apr 2015, 23:52

Update:

Things have been crazy but it is about to change. Having surgery next Tuesday to install a marker near a tumor and then the following week radiation treatments for four days. Then a week off and three treatments on another tumor. Then three months off. I plan to put on a major thrash on the Hawk during that off time. I really want to drive the Hawk this Summer. I have made some purchases and will be making more over the next week to be ready to get at it. I will post pictures and reports as it happens. Plan to pick up the Dodge Dakotas parts truck in two weeks then some real fun begins.
Dan

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 25 May 2015, 00:08

I read somewhere that light exercise is good for fighting shingles pain. So I know the best exercise routine known to man. I headed for the shop. Sam wanted me to trade sides of the shop so he can get his MGB out of the shop without sliding past my Hawk. So I got to work. This is what my new work area looks like.
Built an engine roll around cart that is long enough to hold the engine and trans. Got the crate from a fellow Stude guy and added wheels and some bracing.
Next I built a new work bench. Because of my medical issues I decided to built it tall so I wouldn't have to bend over while I fab the new Torqueflight to Stude adapter. It hardly flexes in the middle even with over 750 lbs. sitting on it.
Now it's time to get to work.

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 25 May 2015, 00:15

Project number one is the Torqueflight to Stude V8 adapter. I started out seeing how close or far off the two are from lining up. Seems that they are closer than I thought. I was even able to bolt up two bolts by drilling out the block to a slightly larger bolt size. One size larger to be exact. I have ordered a new flex plate and bolt package and as soon as it arrives I can begin making the adapter plate for the torque converter. So project number one is on hold waiting on parts.
Project number two is adding two bulges to the oil pan for increased capacity and to give me a place to install the fittings needed for oil drain back and supercharger return. Purchased the bulges from Speedway motors on the cheap and it looks like they will work out great. Going to tack things up and then bolt it on and check for starter clearance ect. Should be on this early next week.

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 25 May 2015, 00:34

Project number three is the installation of fuel injector bungs in the Stude two barrel manifold. The bungs arrived from Summit and the basic set up is ready to proceed. I am going to make a jig that will allow me to set the manifold in the drill press at the correct angle. Then drill the manifold and press in the bungs. Then I will make some braces to go from the fuel rail to the manifold mounting bolts to keep it in place. Then it will be time to bore out the manifold and make an adapter plate to mate the throttle body to the manifold. This is a very exciting project for me as I really expect great things from this both performance and in driveability and perhaps even gas mileage.
Project number four is the addition of a power brake unit with dual master cylinder. Since I do not want anything sticking out of the polished firewall I am going with a below the floor application. I had already decided to make a new bat wing mount for the body that will incorporate my redesigned transmission cross member so it looks like that would have be necessary for this to work. So I will get started on this when I am at a stand still on the other projects. This will probably have to wait to see where the Dakota front clip gets grafted to the Stude frame.
Picked up the parts for the Jag rear brakes. So now I can move forward with the cleaning and painting and reassembly of the jag center section. Still waiting on the axles. They were sent out to be shortened. I have to shorten the lower control arms before the axles get back so it can all go back together and be installed in the frame. Once that is in I can start on the front clip. Next the rear in place in order to have reference points for the front clip to be sure it is straight and true. More as it happens.

55commander
200 - 399 Posts

Post by 55commander » 27 May 2015, 11:08

What are the donor fuel rails, looks like they match up nice.

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 27 May 2015, 19:59

55Commander,

I took them off of a 318 Dodge pick up. They do line up very well and I hope they will work just as well. I am using the complete fuel injection system with in tank pump and computer.
Dan

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 20 Jun 2015, 02:59

I made a trip up to Woodland, CA to pick up some parts for the Hawk from Ed Eckhoff. I was able to secure a Studebaker bell housing which was the one piece I had not been able to get my hands on in order to finish the Torqueflight to Studebaker adapter. So it looks like I can finish it and send it up to be made by next week. I also stopped by Bob Johnstons place on the way home and picked up a couple of oil pans for my experiments. Had him hold a special part for me and will send him the bucks to purchase it. More on that later. I will be sending him a list of parts I need for the car and will go up next month and get them. I will post pictures of the parts I picked up including the surprise part next week.
Dan

SilverHawkDan

Post by SilverHawkDan » 26 Jun 2015, 02:55

Worked on the Torqueflight adapter today. Made the first prototype of the block plate.
Found some issues with the alignment and will make some custom dowels tomorrow to address the issues.
Dan