2021 Masters Of Motors Competition - Studebaker Power Team

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: 2020 Masters Of Motors Competition - Studebaker Power Team

Post by PackardV8 » 15 Jun 2020, 20:33

Now, they've gone too far!

My machinist says no germs can survive fumigation by horsepower.

jack vines

64Avanti

Post by 64Avanti » 15 Jun 2020, 21:57

Well that is too bad! Bonneville is still on as of today.
David Livesay

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 17 Jun 2020, 13:16

Yes, Covid-19 and the government basically shutting down the entire economy.

diggerdavem
100 - 199 Posts

Post by diggerdavem » 18 Jun 2020, 10:59

Hey gang,
I'm going to complete the Masters of Motors build of the 269" Studebaker engine. Will be testing at BES on dyno with intake manifolds (2), FST carburetors and spacers (2), headers (2), collector lengths, spark plugs (2) and camshaft intake center line degrees, may test different spec. camshaft. Will share dyno sheets with this site.
Here are the engine specs. 3.6225" bore, 3.262" stroke, 269 cu.in. 1.875" intake valve, 1.530" exhaust valve, Rubins racing cams (Phil Harris) roller camshaft 247 intake, 261 exhaust, 108 center line, .580", .580" lift Comp Cams roller lifters, 1.65 ratio HC roller rockers. Intake flow @.600" 218.5 cfm. exhaust flow @.600" 171.5, heads chamber 62cc, compression ratio 11.42. Note: Jeff Rice CNC ported heads and Bes Racing blending chamber/port work.
Ross high dome pistons, .750" x 2.75" pins, rings 1mm, 1.2mm and 1.5mm. Eagle steel rods 7.00" c.c. and polished and lightened forged steel crankshaft.
Exhaust headers 1.75' x 34" with 3.5' x 25' collectors.
This is a full flow 63/64 block square decked and bored over .060" with honing plates. engine rotating assembly balanced at Shaker racing Grainger In.
four main caps and scraper/windage screen tray, ARP main/head studs.
Will post all of the names of people who contributed funds, parts and help for this endeavor without their help I could not have competed at this level of competition.
Thanks to all
diggerdave

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 18 Jun 2020, 12:08

Hi, Digger,

Thanks for sharing the specs. It should be the strongest NA 259" ever.

Question on the 3.262" stroke; was the .012" increase from a .030" offset undersize?

jack vines

diggerdavem
100 - 199 Posts

Post by diggerdavem » 19 Jun 2020, 02:34

Jack, I put the wrong stroke number in the spec. sheet, should be 3.250" stroke. My mistake.
diggerdave

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Re: 2021 Masters Of Motors Competition - Studebaker Power Team

Post by Jeff Rice » 17 Sep 2020, 10:02

(UPDATE 9/17/2020)
Changed the header date to 2021... Might as well keep the thread consistant.

Master of Motors (UPDATE 9/17/2020)

It has been a while for an update. Waiting for some positive news.
And there is some GREAT news!
Still no word from JE Pistons and Amsoil (Event hosts and sponsors).
But there is excellent progress news from 'Digger' Dave Molnar.
Will be teasing out these tidbits on a regular basis, so look for them.
Our parts list is small, but not cheap.
Our Team shirts, and sponsor shirts, and Tee shirts are being worked on now.
Yeah, there will be some shameless begging going on, but I am adamant about giving value to those that choose to help out.
First teaser... Look for a spectacular show display and seminar at the 2021 SDC Int'l Meet in Indianapolis next September.....

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 19 Sep 2020, 07:58

(9/19/2020 Master of Motors Update)

Digger can fill in the details, but..........
His progress on the "Master of Motors" Studebaker Power Team engine has been impressive.
Digger Dave basically has the short block ready. Lightened the 259 crankshaft and has the rotating parts all balanced.
Cylinder head/intake manifold combo is down at Tony Bischoff's for flow prep work.
Only a handful of parts are still needed, and acquiring those pieces is ongoing and underway (some help might be asked for).
The delay of this event, along with the new format and hosts, presents a tantalizing opportunity.
As long as they do not change the existing rules, the Studebaker Power Team, under Digger Dave's engine guidance, stands a real chance to not just compete... But to compete at the top level...with an opportunity to win the entire event.
Think about that. Mathematically, if the actual horsepower and torque computer simulator numbers prove out, this engine package could be in the high end of the point scoring system.
That, my fellow Studebaker performance people.... Is very VERY impressive.
We have a year to prepare (if they don't change the date). We have time to build, test, change, adjust.
What we, as true Studebake Power enthusiasts need to do (shameless begging here) is to help Digger Dave Molnar and the Studebaker Power Team get what they need, and get to the event, and PERFORM...
Digger has been relentless in his efforts, all the while battling some serious health issues.
I am in awe of his drive, and his talent, and his sincerity to build the best Studebaker powerplant possible for this competition.
There will be a push to get the last few needed items, and to get the engine and team to the event to compete.
There will be some sponsor premiums to thank sponsors who step forward to show their support.
Sure, it is shameless begging, but nobody alone can financially do it all. Digger is working, sweating, and wringing out his passion to do this. We all need to help, and share, and be a part of this latest....and best Studebaker power effort.
Thanks for reading this... I am proud to be a tiny little part of this team.
It is, in my opinion, historical in the annals of Studebaker history.

55commander
200 - 399 Posts

Post by 55commander » 21 Sep 2020, 09:47

It's always good to see progress