Stude V8 GMC Roots Blower Manifold PROJECT

THE place to document, in chronological order, ON-GOING progress/milestones of ANY high performance Studebaker project. Projects include any major/lengthy - repair/modification/resto/total rebuild OR an extensive build/development/modification of a high performance Studebaker part/system. Including as much info/many photos about/of your project is greatly appreciated! ON-GOING PROJECTS ONLY PLEASE.
Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Re: Stude V8 GMC Roots Blower Manifold PROJECT

Post by Jeff Rice » 08 Feb 2017, 00:26

It's a monstrosity....
But... It is shiny! :twisted:

3x2stude
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Post by 3x2stude » 08 Feb 2017, 19:22

As for the carbs I have been in touch with the guy on eBay, "The Carb Meister". He is reasonable. I was just trying to find cores on the cheap. You gotta be a little CASO once in a while. :)

JK

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Dec 2017, 00:26

It's below "0" in the shop so progress on everything out there will slow till we get a little warm up. So I shift to choosing rods and pistons for this motor. I have RFQs for Ford "Coyote" pistons to Diamond, JE and DSS. DSS came back with $850.00 and they can do them exactly how I want them, no valve reliefs, whatever dish I want and they can adjust to the deck height to get the quench height right all at that price. "JE's" off the shelf for a Coyote with a -17.7 dish is $781.00 but as is out of the box.

R&R quoted aluminum 7.00" rods to match the pistons at approximately $1400.00 with a 3-4 week delivery. I have a stock Coyote piston in hand to meassure and just ordered a stock rod, wrist pin and spiral locks to assemble and measure everything to supply R&R with enough info to finalize their quote. Do we all agree that I do not need to have the crank journal end have an oil squirt hole? Whithout the hole the rod becomes neutral and no longer left or right, correct? Can SBC bearings be used to make better, more readily available berings to be used? I assume I want to keep the front / back centerline offset the same as the stocker? Looking for input but do not want to go the Ford flathead rod route.

JK

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 29 Dec 2017, 11:08

Yes, specify the rod big ends machined for small-journal SBC bearings and the Ford Coyote small end.

Also, make sure DSS knows you're going to be using aluminum rods. The aluminum rod pin end is much larger than a steel rod and with a short compression height piston, such as the Coyote, it can get tight under the piston head.

jack vines

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 29 Dec 2017, 20:21

Jack,

Thanks for the tips. Makes sense. Once I give R&R an order for the rods they will do an outline of the rod and give me the drawing. With that I'll have a dummy 3D printed in plastic to check clearance with the block. I will wait until I get the rods so I can send it to DSS for final piston dims. I will also check the deck height before doing the pistons to verify quench height. I'm not sure how critical that will be with full dish, 20CC, pistons. The dish will be a gentle swoop across the top and not a divot in the middle like a stocker. Any thoughts on that?

JK

stewed
200 - 399 Posts

Post by stewed » 29 Dec 2017, 21:08

I like your idea of the "reverse hemi" dish,but what do I know? I believe that Tom Beatty used this design on some
of his supercharged flathead engines,Alan might know...

Alan

Post by Alan » 29 Dec 2017, 21:36

I have never seen any of his flat head engines. When I started helping him in 1961 he had not run a flat head for 7 or 8 years. He told me about 1953 when he took his belly tanker and 7 spare engines to Bonnie and never made a full pass without blowing a motor. He then switched to Olds engines.

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 28 Jan 2018, 21:56

Based on the H.P. level I am going for I am sticking with tricked out Stude rods and Ross forged pistons. On order from Fairborn.

JK

nailhead jason
0 - 19 Posts

Post by nailhead jason » 15 Jan 2020, 20:44

Did this ever get finished? I have been collecting stuff up to attempt this with my 259 Stude motor.

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 15 Jan 2020, 21:02

Can't answer if his ever got finished, but we built a 259" using the Eagle flathead Ford rods and custom forged flattop pistons. It all worked well together. The rods and pistons are much lighter than the Stude stuff.

jack vines

3x2stude

Post by 3x2stude » 18 Jan 2020, 00:02

Everything for the build is done but just no time to assemble. There is one assembly ahead of it and I cannot stop dreaming up more hairbrained projects so maybe I need an intervention to get me focused? :) Yah, like that'll work. I stuck with Stude rods, multiple people I trust tell me if you are under 700 H.P. the Stude rod can take it if you give it some lovin'. Recondition for length and twist, polish, balance and shot peen. A few folks have told me that the Stude rod bolts are better than ARP but I am going ARP. New pinch bolts it also a good idea.

JK

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Post by Jeff Rice » 18 Jan 2020, 07:37

PackardV8 wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 21:02
Can't answer if his ever got finished, but we built a 259" using the Eagle flathead Ford rods and custom forged flattop pistons. It all worked well together. The rods and pistons are much lighter than the Stude stuff.

jack vines
I just talked to Tom Covington who has also built a couple Eagle flathead connecting rod, Coyote piston engines.
Tom drag races this engine exclusively. He just had his machine shop take it down to 'refresh' it and he said the main bearings were perfect, and the rod bearings showed very, very little wear. He said he changed the rod bearings 'just because'. Tom was impressed with the durability of the bottom end with this 'pin guided' rod/piston setup.

PackardV8

Post by PackardV8 » 18 Jan 2020, 11:32

FWIW, we built a full-race 259" with the Eagle flathead rods and custom forged pistons. So far, so good.

jack vines