Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 » 08 Sep 2020, 09:28

Last Thursday I felt a soft vibration & as I noticed the rear u-joint moving a wee bit hard in the driveshaft bit when it was out I suspected it "might not go away by itself" so today I got a new one. But then when driving to get Ozzian from school it was more... & on the way back even worse & felt quite similar to before I replaced the driveshaft!
Going out now to change the u-joint...
(This is a bit.. eh... kinda frightening!)
I'm going to Holland on Sunday so I really have to rely on Josephine & even if I go with Sonja's car instead Josephine has to be usable or else she aint got no car at all, no good to only have two cars in a family.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 08 Sep 2020, 16:04

Changed the u-joint & I think it feels good... something is vibrating slightly thou but it's way less now.
I took a testdrive & it felt good & when she was warmed up I stepped hard shifting manual from 1:st gear & she behaved good & I couldn't feel any change after that. Gona take her for a longer spin tomorrow.

I've thought it all through now, remembering the trip from Holland with caravan behind when the fan drilled its center into the rad & we had to drive only 70km/h & stop at every gas station to fill water & got a day delayed... But there was no vibrations then.
So I think the rubber between the pipes in the driveshaft must have got to hot when it was welded being shortend to fit the A500 gearbox, & then by time it let go & also destroyed some u-joints cuz I couldn't figure out what the problem was...
But I got the pinion angle fixed during the proces! & new tires too, thou I have a whole bunch of tires laying that I wanna try out in the future but at the moment it's better to play it safe.

& ofcourse there has been times when I almost gave up & even put ad out "for sale" but the answers I got never when far enough. & in reality: What would I drive instead? There are Studebakers for sale in Sweden at times but these are mostly out of my economical reach. & I'm picky too...
(If not 53-55 sedan, then 53-54 Starlight or 57-58 Silver Hawk... Or maby 59-60 Lark, but no hard top.)

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 09 Sep 2020, 07:16

How far a drive is Holland for you nox?
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 09 Sep 2020, 16:07

Where I'm going these days it's not so far; about 110 km from us just outside Tollarp to the ferry in Trelleborg & then about 480 km from Rostock to Groningen. Google map... ;)

Today I had to drive a bit to see the doctor for renewing my driving lisence for heavy truck & trailer & I drove highway to get there & small roads on my way back & I can for sure tell something is still seriously wrong... My guess is that the gearbox also have sufferd from earlier vibrations due to wrong driveshaft angle & then the driveshaft itself + the u-joints.

So this evening we bought a toycar for a low price (actualy for the price of a cheap gearbox) that's tested & taxed & hopefully will do its work for a while:
r1.jpg
My guess is that it aint much good over 70 m/h, only had it up to 55 on the way home...

So now I'm on different MoPar forums to find a solution for Josephine, but I'm about to give her up now as I can't afford a gearbox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 10 Sep 2020, 08:05

nox, I can't remember - does Josephine have an automatic gearbox, or manual? Either way, possibly the driveshaft vibration has damaged the output housing bushing? I looked back at the pics you posted of the driveshaft, but couldn't tell whether it has a slip yoke that inserts into the transmission -- but probably does. The OD of the slip yoke rides in the ID of the output bushing. There is a tool to remove/replace these bushings without pulling the output housing. Not saying this is definitely the problem, but something to investigate.

When the driveshaft was modified, was it balanced? If not, that is another possibility.

Keep us posted...................
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 10 Sep 2020, 13:23

Yes, the driveshaft was balanced after being shortend, I'm a highway driver so I need to depend on the stuff but the "new" shaft is just original untouched.
Gearbox is a A500 = 904 auto with overdrive & it came from the -89 van we used to drive together with the roller cam 318.
Gonna be good to be home & aboard for a while & hopefully some bright idea hits me for once that makes it all come to a happy, simple & cheap solution.
Gonna take my co-driver with me, she's always very interested in where we're going:
003.JPG
Josephine is 65 years old & I'm 5 years younger but ofcourse like everybody else I feel like... eh... hmmm, let's see... 52! Or maby 42... & so on...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 24 Sep 2020, 06:45

nox, hadn't seen any posts from you in a while, hope you and your family are doing ok.
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 08 Oct 2020, 16:35

Ah, thanx for caring!
I've been in Holland, "home & aboard" for a bit over 3 weeks trying to sell the tug. I came back yesterday after nothing much worked out at all...
But at least I got to meet old friends, I have more friends there than in Sweden & we were a solid group of about 100-150 people living as neighbours for 21 years (thou only 18 years for me & Sonja) that always helped each other out, not like in Sweden where one aint supposed to ask for help or give help freely, it feels a bit wierd to live up north again after that.
So anyway, I still haven't put everything in place since I arrived but I've layed my eyes on Josephine a few times, gonna take her out for a spin tomorrow.
I had Carmenzita with me, dobermanns make good shipdogs; jumping & swiming is easy for them.
014.JPG
015.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 12 Oct 2020, 06:08

Due to several things since I returned up north, such as placing out all the stuff I brought with me from the tug, not done all yet, it took until yesterday before I took her out...
So I asked Sonja to come with me & while I drove (slooow!) she opend each rear door to look at the rear wheels. I've done this check with Josephine on stands before but it was really hard to acually see much like that. Anyway, she said "the tire seems to woble but not the rim" about the right side wheel so we changed places & I climbed into the backseat, & I think the rim also is wobbeling a bit, looks ofcourse less because it's further in to the center.
Both rear wheels are ballanced not long ago, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that here before, so it must be the brakedrum... I've felt the axel skaft by the drum after driving & it's cold, so the bearing is good.
& when she drove she said "but it's also serious vibrations here in the front" & yes there is & I think that's the big problem & I also suspect it's the gearbox. & that I can't afford...
So I'm prepaired to give her up.
Gonna strip of some goodies first thou, no big things, just some surface thingies.
Gonna miss her!
& what's next I aint got a clue about... Just when I found out about a -53 sedan front also... But that's a long way from here & there's transport cost to think of, even thou I reckon I'd get more for her with her looking more like a Studebaker...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 24 Oct 2020, 16:36

Nothing much happend here that's got anything to do with Studebaker but today I found a picture I like...
In -68 the first (yeah, that's not long ago) swedish official dragrace took place & there was a -55 Starlight racing there & then. I don't remember all of the story but they bought a -56 Imperial from a scrapyard & drove it for 2 years & then either put the Studebaker body on the Imperial frame or just took the driveline from the Imperial & put it in the Studebaker, I'm not sure how it was now. Anyway; earlier I've colected 2 pictures of the Studebaker, here's the first one, taken when they tested it on a normal road:
(it was a newbuilt road, not yet open)
StudeMopar Test.jpg
The next one is when they were waiting in line to get into the racegrounds:
StudeMopar Andrestorp 1968.jpg
The the one I found today, one from the actual race:
StudeMopar A-torp -68.jpg
Look how "anti-safe" the hotrodder sits, imagen a crash...

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 25 Oct 2020, 08:11

Cool vintage drag racing pics, thanks nox!
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 25 Oct 2020, 17:27

You're welcome, it's my childhood! (& I love it!)

I've actually put out an ad on Josephine & writing that I'm only interested in money or maby trade for a model A Ford sedan & so far I've only got one answer & it's about trading for this one:
Windsor Dartline.jpg
It's a -58 Chrysler Windsor Dartline, meaning Dodge wheelbase & front fenders. I'm not sure even thou I've got a soft spot for MoPars up till -64 but the older the better... & he's asking a higher price than I'm asking for Josephine but I aint gonna pay extra for trading for something I didn't ask for. Exept I could throw in this one just to get rid of it:
(it's actualy a really good li'l toy, just not needed anymore)
007.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 28 Oct 2020, 18:58

At last I've installed the heater I first made; a while ago I had to cut it down & make it more compact.
When I was gonna look at the model A Ford I just put this one in temporary cuz it was raining:
(& I didn't wanna drive 250 km with foggy windows)
working heater 2.JPG
So now the first one is back in again, a bit lower & has a higher funell by the fan to suck more air without pressing it out on its sides, here it sits now:
v-paket 6.JPG
When it was installed earlier I had a plate covering it that I made but that one doesn't fit now so I have to make a new one. I've also removed the "foot" from the gas pedal & put an ordinary black ball on the Hurst shifter.

& yesterday Guinness left us, now there's only Stina left & she'll be off on Tuesday, you should've seen her sitting by the gates & looking at the car he left in until it disapeard behind the trees... She sure became a bit different after that.
Here she's sleeping on one year older sister Carmensita earlier today:
001.JPG
& then later in the evening she fell asleep on me & I did too fall asleep:
003.jpg

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 29 Oct 2020, 05:58

I figure it's hard to let go of those cute puppies................. :-(
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 29 Oct 2020, 12:27

Yes you figured right, now that they're 3 months it's even more so, but to have more than 2 dogs aint the most relaxing life in a few different ways. I had to make a "dangerous" collar for Stina (spoken "Steena" in English, short for Kristina) because Carmenzita goes to hard on the throat, just as Lizzie on Carmenzita's throat earlier, but yesterday Carmenzita got into the habbit to try to eat the leather so now Stina's throat is unprotected again...

Today I put on the original wheels on Josephine, haven't had them on since I bought her. I noticed that there was no weights on the rims & sure enough; driving is a bit like driving without tires on a gravel road. But that wasn't the biggest problem; there was a pretty bad sound when making turns from the right side wheel:
voa 14.JPG
But she look more oldfasioned now:
voa 12.JPG
Maby I ought to try to get them ballanced..?