Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Non-Studebaker powered Studebakers.
Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Re: Josephine, a "Moparistic" -55 sedan

Post by Champion V8 » 09 Jan 2020, 17:01

After leaving Tollarp it's been impossible to get in here untill now! & I'm surprised every time...
Anyway, I went to the speed shop to find the owner getting old but I never thought he was that much older than me, & he said he might quit. That makes me worried cuz there's still stuff I wanna buy from him & I aint gor enough money now. Anyway, he didn't have any round high performance coils in stock just then so I bought a standard one but I said I wanted one for no resistor & that was ofcourse wrong... So yesterday I went in to Kristianstad (20 km from here) to my usual not-really-a-speed shop & orderd a MSD Blaster 2 for way to much money. & in the meantime I've cut, angled & welded in triangle-shaped plates on my pals -54 coupe, first here's a pic before so you can see the holes:
frontfix 3.JPG
Then the plates:
frontfix 9.JPG
& then all done:
frontfix 15.JPG
Slowly I'm making him happier, but now it's time for him to deliver engine, gearbox & front + rear windscreens. & the rear axel that he's been promised from a guy but it seems that it still sits on the guys car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 10 Jan 2020, 07:09

Noticed that you hadn't posted in a while nox. Good to see you back!
Paul
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry at: http://www.studebakerskytop.com

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 10 Jan 2020, 15:53

Thanx, I'd click a "like" on that if I could Paul... ;) & as you probably allready know I can't get in for weeks mostly, just happy when I can; this is my total favorite site! Didn't do any car work today thou, family takes time sometimes & then it's also good to be unemployed.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 11 Jan 2020, 18:13

Still manage to get in so why not post..? I worked on the ground outside the newbuilt wall until it was getting dark & then after dinner I started on my friends -54; the piece under the bumper is (just as the fenders) from a Hawk so it had the two spot-welded plated in the "almost midle" that was sticking out so I cut them off with a chissel, cleaned it up & sprayed it while it was still warm to prevent rust.
008.JPG
009.JPG
011.JPG
Off topic: My pal, named Nils, is a woodwork teacher in Gøteborg & he just had a serious breakdown in school from to much stress, had to be driven to hospital in ambulance & all. They discoverd he has real bad blood & now he's not allowed to do anything at all...
Usually he's working on his ship in the evenings (he's the main reason why me & Sonja got our first ship in -93) & now he can't do anything until he's alright & who knows when that is..? But I'm at least happy about one thing now; when ever I mail him he responds, it used to take days before that happend so now it's a lot easier to get answers about how to do stuff on his car.
It's not easy to not do the stuff I'm used to because it's not my own car. (I weld a lot together on my own cars as I can always cut the welds if needed)

One thing I'm jealous about him is that he has a Studebaker V8 & I "only" have a MoPar... I read not long ago that the reason that Studebaker small block V8's are of higher quality than MoPar V8's are due to the timing gears vs the MoPar timing chain...

'later...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 12 Jan 2020, 15:21

Still getting in! So I'll keep on showing todays wee bit of work on Nils's -54, cleaned it up & sprayed it:
frontfix 24.JPG
& placed it losely in possition for to look at:
frontfix 25.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 13 Jan 2020, 16:11

Ah, in day-after-day! To bad it's so little happening on this forum thou, hope it'll change in the future...
Gotta be some more Studebaker owners with heavy gasfeet out there, right?

A while ago I heard a ticking sound that I first thought was the waterpump but later discoverd was some lose bolts on the lower pulley, there's 6 of them, so I just tighten them... & after a short while it was the same again! So I put new washers on & let it sit until today when Sonja helped me out by holding on to the waterpump pulley & the one for the alternator, but the 4:th bolt snapped!!!
I took off the belt & unscrewed the pulley & the rest of the bolt was sticking out enough for me to grip it & then it came out easy.
So tomorrow I'll buy new strong bolts & tighten them with the proper torque.

Before that I welded a hole in Nils's -54's floor (someone has probably cut off the exhaust with a grinder & gone to high up), I think it's the last weld on the car exept an earlier bad repair on top of left rear fender.

After my snapped bolt I took off Nils's hood & carried it to the the wash room where there's a bathtub(!) beside the ordinary washer machine & there I used hot water & strong liquid to clean it:
Huvfix 1.JPG
Now it's laying loose on the car again waiting for warmer & dryer weather.

Life goes on, maby I'll be in to morrow also..? ;)

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 13 Jan 2020, 18:12

So what color will Nil's Stude be painted?
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 14 Jan 2020, 15:47

I'm not sure he knows yet, he's been having many different ideas over the years. The slightly pink silver that's on now is alu primer for ships, we're that kinda folx him & me... ;) I hope he'll go for the bright yellow-greenish that's on the firewall, kinda icecream feel to it. Lately he's been thinking to just roll it primer red & have a stripe or two over the car from front to back, kinda old style racing image. If it was mine I'd paint it mustard yellow & white or black roof, I saw a Hawk when I was about 11 years old like that, with black roof, but I once painted a -54 Chevy 2 door sedan mustard yellow & white roof & that sure was nice!
I doubt there will be much done on that car now for a while until engine, gearbox & windscreens are deliverd.

Today I went to get bolts to fasten the pulley on the crank & they only had bolts that were either to short or to long so I took the long ones & cut them. But putting them in is quite hard cuz the pulley is so deep & I have electric fans on the rad & then I discoverd that one of them had the hole to small for the allen key to fit into! I want eveything to be same size due to weight & ballance so tomorrow I'll have to go back for a proper one but that's alright since I also need some tool that fits due to the deep pulley; there used to be ordinary bolts there before.
No pictures today...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 15 Jan 2020, 16:19

Still in so I'm at it again, 'tis the litle stuff that keeps me going...
I went & got the proper bolt today & they also had recieved the ignition coil! Then I went to 3 different toolshops to get a 1/4 allen key socket, at the first one that has a BIG!!! sign saying "TOOLS" they didn't even have one single inch tool at all, guess if there were many customers in that shop..? Not one! The second store, the biggest car part & tool store chain in Sweden, they had some but no sockets. The 3:rd shop that's just a "all kinds of stuff for handy people" I found it!

& here's the new coil installed:
948.JPG
Now I'm still only waiting for my pal to send me the wedge shims, then it's time for a burn-out...

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 18 Jan 2020, 17:13

"GASP!" :cry: Suddenly I couldn't get in again... But I try every day anyway & I am very surprised that I got in again so soon!
Not much has happend thou but there's always stuff that one find annoying & the thinking "I'll have to take care of that later..." eats my mind at times! So now when nothing much was happening I decided to get to it...
I've had a separate temp gauge, the over drive switch + its light strapped to the steering wheel column just by the parking brake handle & now I'm finally making a... Well... Eh... Something permanent for it. It started with a few paper prototypes & then onto what I thought was gonna be the final thing... & now I'm into the 3:rd one that might (hopefully) be the last / final one. It's gonna have the meter between the column & handbrake & the switch & light on the right side of the brake handle. First I made a plate that went up over the column half way but now I've changed my mind about that. Sorry, no pictures yet, I have the camera with me but forget to take a picture every time.
But I have a better one of the engine now:
(Exept for the thin green wire that's gone now.)
950.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 20 Jan 2020, 06:27

So here's pictures of the new bracket; I put yhe stuff back in the strap for a pic (might be goos for future memoryloss too), thou it used to sit up just under the dashboard:
00066.JPG
This is the 4:th plate I made & it works, first I did the whole plate from one piece but it never came out good enough, now I'll have to live with a vertical edge but that's no problem, I had an old gauge bracket laying that I used.
(I never liked these anyway)
Back side:
00067.JPG
Front side:
00068.JPG
& new painted but only first layer:
(it was time for coffeebrake)
00069.JPG

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 20 Jan 2020, 16:57

I've been thinking for a while... That this is the Racing site & I aint got much of a race car... & it's embarassing! I had wilder plans from the begining such as at least a 360 that I would make stronger with all kinds of stuff.
I know a 318 is easily good for 500+ hp but the way my life is going now even that seems hopeless. I just wanted to write this cuz I'm feeling a bit pathetic at the moment.

Tomorrow I hope I can show the new "temp-gauge-&-o.d.-switch-&-light-plate" mounted.
If I can get in... ;)

r1lark
100 - 199 Posts

Post by r1lark » 20 Jan 2020, 18:50

But nox, this is the "Non-Studebaker Powered Studebakers" section -- your car fits right in!

I see your car as a hot rod, like many of the cars that pop up on this forum, and have enjoyed following your trials and your successes.
Paul

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 21 Jan 2020, 15:37

Okidoki, I'll fall for flatter now... ;)
Earlier today I painted the last layer & drilled & picked out screws but then time had run out & I had to get Ozzian from school, feed us, leave him at (one of) Sonja's work & drive to a friend to get Ozzians new secondhand computer fixed & that took a long time & still didn't work out & then back home & bought concrete on the way & had some food & then the day was gone & I can't work late toningt cuz I'm gonna bring Ozzian to school tomorrow morning.
But the bracket purdy to look at!

Champion V8
200 - 399 Posts

Post by Champion V8 » 22 Jan 2020, 11:39

After doing concrete work most of the day I finaly got to install the bracket with temp meter, over drive switch + light:
00070.JPG
It was more work than I expected because the meter on one end & the switch on the other end was in the way for the screwdriver & it all got a bit bended & scratched too + the top edge that's bended to be screwed thru isn't the nicest thing one can look at & it shows...
Gotta cover the gap. Later, not now.

Added later:
On the picture the handle for regulating the air for LPG or gasoline shows, it's the black handle under the dashboard a bit hidden by the gearknob's shadow. & above the ignition lock is the choke handle & above that is the horn button.
So now you know more for when you come over for a testdrive!
:P