Adapting A Caddy Intake - Info Needed

This forum is devoted to all topics concerning high performance, Studebaker powered vehicles.
Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Re: Adapting A Caddy Itake Info Needed

Post by Jessie J. » 20 Oct 2019, 22:03

Jeff Rice wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:59
Pic's for clarity and conversation...

I have seen these comparison shots multiple times. But all early OHV Cadillac engines did not employ the same intake manifolds or port dimensions. Several years ago, at the South Bend Spring Swap Meet I purchased an early 331 4 barrel intake that had much smaller ports and was an almost perfect match to the unmodified Studebaker gaskets.
The only modification was slotting of the manifold's bolt holes to align with the Stude bolt locations.
Of course this only applied to those very early 331 4 barrel intakes, not to any of the latter 'large port' factory or after market aluminum 3x2s and 2x4s.
Perhaps a circa 1950 DRE intake might also have those small ports, but one would have be somewhat insane to cobble carve one up.

Jeff Rice
Global Moderator

Re: Adapting A Caddy Itake Info Needed

Post by Jeff Rice » 21 Oct 2019, 10:59

Jessie J. wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 22:03

I have seen these comparison shots multiple times. But all early OHV Cadillac engines did not employ the same intake manifolds or port dimensions. Several years ago, at the South Bend Spring Swap Meet I purchased an early 331 4 barrel intake that had much smaller ports and was an almost perfect match to the unmodified Studebaker gaskets.
The only modification was slotting of the manifold's bolt holes to align with the Stude bolt locations.
Of course this only applied to those very early 331 4 barrel intakes, not to any of the latter 'large port' factory or after market aluminum 3x2s and 2x4s.
Perhaps a circa 1950 DRE intake might also have those small ports, but one would have be somewhat insane to cobble carve one up.
Good catch!
Thanks for providing some good info.
Jeff 8)

PackardV8
Studebaker Racing Team Member

Re: Adapting A Caddy Intake - Info Needed

Post by PackardV8 » 21 Oct 2019, 12:00

Yes, there are several Cadillac intakes and port sizes, but most intake gasket sets available today have the later, larger ports.

FWIW, the '52-54 Cadillac 331' were the smaller port 4-bbl. There is no great performance advantage to using one of these over the Stude 4-bbl.

The port size increased in '55 when the Eldorado got the 2x4 intake, also offered on the '56 365". These are the taller intakes and carbs.

One Cadillac's major styling changes from '56 to '57 was a lowering of the hood line between the fenders. As a result the '57 2x4 intake manifold, air cleaners and even the carburetors are all SHORTER so that the assembled height would fit under a closed 1957 hood.

The 3x2-bbl intakes were for the '58-'59 and were also low-profile.

jack vines

Jessie J.
100 - 199 Posts

Re: Adapting A Caddy Intake - Info Needed

Post by Jessie J. » 22 Oct 2019, 11:46

PackardV8 wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 12:00
Yes, there are several Cadillac intakes and port sizes, but most intake gasket sets available today have the later, larger ports.
The Caddy manifold I purchased came with a set of Studebaker steel shim intake gaskets which aligned well with the Caddy ports. I never yet installed it on an engine, so how well the cyl. head offset and angle matches up remains to be determined. Might benefit from some port matching.
FWIW, the '52-54 Cadillac 331' were the smaller port 4-bbl. There is no great performance advantage to using one of these over the Stude 4-bbl.
The early Cadillac manifold appears to be a couple of inches higher than most Studebaker 4 barrel intakes. My plan was to have it aluminum coated as a poor man's "High Rise"
intake. Anyway at 50 bucks I had little to lose. And I'm not reporting that it 'Works Great!', only that it exists and -may- have some potential ...or at least -look- like it does. :) Which for a lot of us is a sufficient excuse.
The port size increased in '55 when the Eldorado got the 2x4 intake, also offered on the '56 365". These are the taller intakes and carbs.

One Cadillac's major styling changes from '56 to '57 was a lowering of the hood line between the fenders. As a result the '57 2x4 intake manifold, air cleaners and even the carburetors are all SHORTER so that the assembled height would fit under a closed 1957 hood.

The 3x2-bbl intakes were for the '58-'59 and were also low-profile.

jack vines
Thanks for this further information. I have a 3x2 and a couple of cast iron 2x4s but have never bothered to determine what years they are, also have a NOS Weiand 2x4. Started collecting these Caddy intakes for my Studebaker project, then came across a running '62 Cad 390 which is presently occupying an engine stand.
Finally retired this summer, and if I can ever get the 'honey do's' out of the way, will see if I can get around to playing with my accumulations of toys. :D